Air Canada is finally giving us some details on its revamped Aeroplan ahead of the program's relaunch on Nov. 8. It is difficult to deny that the program appears to be getting better. First, there's a bit of good news for existing members. Air Canada is allowing for an ultra-smooth transition by letting members maintain the same numbers. In addition, all current Aeroplan Miles are being honored on a one-to-one basis. Aeroplan miles will be known as 'Aeroplan points' going forward.
Aeroplan members will see more flexibility across the board starting on Nov. 8. In addition, it seems like members with Aeroplan co-branded credit cards will be getting much better deals than anything they'd be able to manage using major bank travel programs. Here's a quick rundown of what members can look forward to when November rolls around:
- The ability to redeem Aeroplan points to purchase any available Air Canada seat.
- The elimination of airline surcharges.
- Predictable, market-based pricing via the exclusive Points Predictor Tool.
- New flexibility for mixing points and cash.
- The ability to redeem points for flights to over 1,300 destinations with help from new partnerships with Etihad, Azul and many more.
- New family-sharing options.
- Better travel rewards for car rentals, hotel stays, vacation packages and merchandise.
- Freedom to use points for perks like Wi-Fi or Maple Leaf Lounge access.
The new Aeroplan program will still offer six membership levels when it debuts in the fall. While all premier benefits will stay intact, some new rewards for vouchers and status boosts are being introduced. Aeroplan is also revamping partnerships with credit card companies to offer things like lounge access, free checked bags, priority upgrade clearance and much more. But of course, the more premium the credit cards, the more exclusive and valuable the benefits will be.